Our Core Offer
At Werneth Primary School, we place Reading at the heart of our curriculum and ensure that all learners have an education that is enriched by a wide range of literature, including:
- High quality home/1:1 reading books that children can take home and then share with staff in school (approx. 40 texts per year)
- Exposure to weekly age-related texts in shared/guided reading sessions, as part of the shared/guided reading teaching sequences (approx. 40 texts per year)
- Library books- all children have access to the school library texts and change these texts once per week (up to a further 40 texts per year)
- Over 20 WAGOLL texts per year (across a range of genres), using a ‘reading for writing’ approach as part of the Writing teaching sequence.
- More than 40 other texts linked to other areas of the curriculum to develop Werneth learners’ background knowledge.
This core literary offer means that Werneth Primary School will have knowledge of over 900 books from Nursery to Year 6.
Our broad and balanced curriculum aims to give our learners the knowledge, vocabulary, skills and understanding needed for school and for later life. This curriculum is enhanced by a range of enrichment activities linked to our curriculum to provide memorable experiences that give our learners cultural capital, deepen knowledge and stimulate curiosity. These include:
-school trips and/or visitors to school to support our children to learn more about the subjects studied in class
-free brass instrument tuition, provided by Oldham Music Services, for all Year 5 children
-Schools Linking Project trips and experiences to meet children from our linking project partner school (St. Anne’s Royton) to share experiences, culture and to develop friendships
-working alongside the linking project Lead Artist, Claire Mather, to develop learners' Art and Design skills
-having opportunities to perform at the Oldham Coliseum Theatre as part of the Children’s Shakespeare Festival
-taking part in the Oldham Pledge activities to develop children’s character and make a meaningful contribution to our local community
-high quality sports coaching, provided by the Oldham Athletic Community Trust (OACT) and Dream Big Sports
-a range of sporting after school clubs and holiday clubs, delivered by our specialist sports partners
-participation in a wide range of inter-school sports competitions as part of our partnership with the Hathershaw College Sports Cluster
-a range of special events- including World Book Day, Sports Day, Poetry week, Anti-bullying week, Online Safety day- to develop children’s knowledge, skills and awareness of how to keep themselves safe.
Please see our Werneth Weekly newsletters https://www.wernethprimary.org.uk/News/Werneth-Weekly/ or view our Twitter account https://twitter.com/wernethps/ for more details and information about our pioneering curriculum.