Werneth Primary School has now begun the formal process to reduce the number of places from September 2021 and wishes to consult with you on this proposal. The Trust is proposing to reduce the Published Admission Number (PAN) from the current 70 pupils per year group to 60 pupils per year group.
Reasons for the proposed change:
- Our school has been operating on an informally reduced PAN, which has been supported by the local authority for the last 18 months. The formal process would reflect current practice
- The reduction in PAN would support the figures provided by the local authority which demonstrate a falling birth rate in West Oldham
- Our school has not admitted more than 60 students since 2014 and is currently below number in the majority of year groups
- Reducing the PAN to 60 secures our school as a two-form entry school and reduces the risk of needing to have split aged classes
- The budget would not sustain the number of teachers required, especially in KS1, if we were to go over 30 pupils in a class
- Reduced numbers will enable us to know our students even better, thus facilitating continuing school improvement
- Site and resources management will be more effective and suffer less wear and tear
We will be consulting with all of our stakeholders from Monday 4th November until Friday 13th December 2019.
Following the consultation, Governors will meet to consider the views and make a decision on whether or not to proceed with the proposal.
If you have any comments you wish to make in respect of this proposal, please forward them to Miss D Hunt at The Hathershaw College, Bellfield Avenue, Oldham, OL8 3EP or by email to WPSadmissions@hathershaw.org.uk. Comments should be received no later than 3pm on 13th December 2019.